BJP pays tribute to victims of Canacona building collapse
Panaji: The ruling BJP observed a minute long silence before its prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s address here on Sunday, to express condolence to the victims of Canacona building collapse incident which occurred last week.
Silence was observed before the local BJP leaders began their speeches at the rally in Merces, three kms away from the capital city.
Around 27 people were killed in the building collapse incident and the rescue work is still underway at the site.
Before Modi arrived at the rally, BJP Goa unit General Secretary Damodar Naik appealed to the one lakh odd crowd to pay tribute to the mishap victims.
"It`s the most unfortunate tragedy. It is a heart-breaking incident," Naik said. He added that even Modi had inquired about the incident and expressed grief over it.
Meanwhile, thousands of people arrived to attend rally that threw the traffic situation out of gear in the Goa capital.
The bypass connecting Panaji to old Goa, a heritage village ten kilometres away from the capital, was jammed since afternoon. The situation was similar on the highway between Panaji and Margao. Traffic congestion was witnessed at Bambolim village.
"We had decided Merces as a venue, because we didn`t want traffic mess in Panaji," a senior party official said today. Over 1,000 buses were requisitioned to bring in crowd for the rally.
The party officials said that more than one lakh people arrived to attend the rally.
BJP had collected Rs five from each to participate in the rally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video