BJP promises to resolve dual citizenship woes of Goans
Panaji: In one of its pre-election promises, the BJP has assured lakhs of Goans to help them get reprieve on the dual citizenship front, if the party is voted to power at the Centre.
"The Indian constitution does not allow dual citizenship if you voluntarily become the citizen of another country," Parrikar said adding that the word "voluntarily" is important as many Goans have their birth registered in Portugal without their knowledge.
Goa was a former Portuguese colony which was liberated and attached to mainstream in 1961.
The chief minister said that the dual citizenship issue is troubling several lakh Goans, who fear to lose their Indian identity.
"There are cases wherein their births have been registered in Portugal by third person or some agent, without their knowledge," Parrikar said explaining that these Indian citizens are unaware about their Portuguese citizenship.
He also pointed out a clause in Portuguese law which makes those who were born in Goa before liberation (then Portuguese colony) as Portuguese citizens. "We should remove that clause in the act of Portugal which has unnecessarily troubled several Goans," Parrikar said.
The CM said that he has briefed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on this issue. "Once BJP comes to power in the centre we will resolve this issue immediately. We will have enough clout (in the Centre) to resolve Goa issues," he commented.
Parrikar said that BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi will also be apprised about the issue during his forthcoming state visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'