BJP seeks Kamat`s resignation as MLA
Panaji: Goa unit of the state`s ruling BJP today demanded the resignation of former chief minister Digambar Kamat as Congress MLA following his indictment by a judicial commission for illegal ironore mining.
"Justice M B Shah Commission has held Kamat directly responsible for the mess as a minister of mines. Congress should tender an apology for the mining mess...We demand that Digambar Kamat quit (as a legislator) owning the responsibility," state BJP spokesman Dr Wilfred Mesquita told reporters.
Kamat represents Margaon assembly constituency in South Goa.
The state government should also crack the whip on those mine owners who were involved in illegal mining activity as mentioned in the Shah Commission report, he said, adding the mining scam cost the state exchequer dear and the money be recovered from the guilty.
"Money belongs to the people of Goa and should be recovered from the mine owners," Mesquita said.
Shah Commission, in its report tabled in Parliament recently, pegged the scam to the tune of Rs 35,000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Sensex slips from 11-month high ahead of Fed, BoJ meets
- AN 32 one of safest aircraft with IAF, says Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis seeks justice for Narsingh Yadav, amidst doping row
- India finds promising natural gas hydrates in Bay of Bengal
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang