BJP seeks Kamat`s resignation as MLA
Panaji: Goa unit of the state`s ruling BJP today demanded the resignation of former chief minister Digambar Kamat as Congress MLA following his indictment by a judicial commission for illegal ironore mining.
"Justice M B Shah Commission has held Kamat directly responsible for the mess as a minister of mines. Congress should tender an apology for the mining mess...We demand that Digambar Kamat quit (as a legislator) owning the responsibility," state BJP spokesman Dr Wilfred Mesquita told reporters.
Kamat represents Margaon assembly constituency in South Goa.
The state government should also crack the whip on those mine owners who were involved in illegal mining activity as mentioned in the Shah Commission report, he said, adding the mining scam cost the state exchequer dear and the money be recovered from the guilty.
"Money belongs to the people of Goa and should be recovered from the mine owners," Mesquita said.
Shah Commission, in its report tabled in Parliament recently, pegged the scam to the tune of Rs 35,000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi