Casino ship owned by Kanda`s company towed away
Panaji: Goa government has towed away the casino ship of a firm belonging to former Haryana Minister Gopal Kanda, accused of abetting suicide of an ex-airhostess, for failing to pay Rs 12 crore fees to authorities.
State Ports department recently shifted the ship from Mandovi River near Panaji to South Goa in a yard, after officially confiscating it for failure to pay fees of Rs 12 crore to the state government.
Government officials said that the ship is owned by M/s Golden Globe Hotels Private Limited, a company owned by Kanda, which has named this ship as "Casino Rio".
Captain James Braganza, heading the port operations, said the state government is toying with the possibility of auctioning the ship. We will seek legal opinion on the matter, he said.
Kanda`s company had purchased the vessel from Leela Beach Resort way back in 2009 but could not get it operational as it had no valid documents to procure the permission.
Goa government officials said that the ship was "almost abandoned" midway in the Mandovi River channel and it was amounting to navigational hurdle for other vessels using the inland waterway.
The vessel was anchored just below twin Mandovi Bridges connecting Panaji to neighbouring suburb.
The tourism department had earlier issued two notices to the company in January and June, 2013 directing the vessel owner to remove the vessel under Section 7 of the Goa tourist places (protection and maintenance) Act, 2001.
Kanda is accused of abetting the suicide of 23-year-old former air hostess Geetika Sharma, who was earlier employed in his MDLR airlines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus