CBI points to links between Goa Police, drug mafia
Panaji: Linkages between the police and drug mafia in Goa were emerging in the Central Bureau of Investigation`s (CBI) probe into the illicit narcotics trade in the state, a senior agency official said Saturday.
Speaking to reporters, CBI Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Pravin Salunke, whose federal agency has been handed over the probe by the Goa government after the police failed to crack the nexus, however, said the CBI had not yet stumbled upon politicians` links to the drug mafia.
"Linkages of the police to the accused are emerging... But we have not come across leads to politicians yet," Salunke said.
Salunke also told reporters that witnesses in the case were changing their earlier statements because they were being pressurised.
The CBI is investigating three separate drug cases in Goa in which several policemen and drug dealers have been booked.
The three cases form part of the police-politician-drug mafia nexus, in which state Home Minister Ravi Naik`s son Roy has been linked.
The nexus was exposed after a Swedish model and an ex-girlfriend of an Israeli drug dealer Yaniv Benaim alias Atala uploaded videos of him boasting of his police links.
Atala, who was subsequently arrested by the police last year along with eight other police officers, later jumped bail and is now awaiting extradition in Lima, Peru.
Goa Police have also arrested another Israeli drug dealer, David Driham alias Dudu, who allegedly had links with politicians, senior police officers and journalists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!