CBI points to links between Goa Police, drug mafia
Panaji: Linkages between the police and drug mafia in Goa were emerging in the Central Bureau of Investigation`s (CBI) probe into the illicit narcotics trade in the state, a senior agency official said Saturday.
Speaking to reporters, CBI Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Pravin Salunke, whose federal agency has been handed over the probe by the Goa government after the police failed to crack the nexus, however, said the CBI had not yet stumbled upon politicians` links to the drug mafia.
"Linkages of the police to the accused are emerging... But we have not come across leads to politicians yet," Salunke said.
Salunke also told reporters that witnesses in the case were changing their earlier statements because they were being pressurised.
The CBI is investigating three separate drug cases in Goa in which several policemen and drug dealers have been booked.
The three cases form part of the police-politician-drug mafia nexus, in which state Home Minister Ravi Naik`s son Roy has been linked.
The nexus was exposed after a Swedish model and an ex-girlfriend of an Israeli drug dealer Yaniv Benaim alias Atala uploaded videos of him boasting of his police links.
Atala, who was subsequently arrested by the police last year along with eight other police officers, later jumped bail and is now awaiting extradition in Lima, Peru.
Goa Police have also arrested another Israeli drug dealer, David Driham alias Dudu, who allegedly had links with politicians, senior police officers and journalists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing