CBI points to links between Goa Police, drug mafia
Panaji: Linkages between the police and drug mafia in Goa were emerging in the Central Bureau of Investigation`s (CBI) probe into the illicit narcotics trade in the state, a senior agency official said Saturday.
Speaking to reporters, CBI Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Pravin Salunke, whose federal agency has been handed over the probe by the Goa government after the police failed to crack the nexus, however, said the CBI had not yet stumbled upon politicians` links to the drug mafia.
"Linkages of the police to the accused are emerging... But we have not come across leads to politicians yet," Salunke said.
Salunke also told reporters that witnesses in the case were changing their earlier statements because they were being pressurised.
The CBI is investigating three separate drug cases in Goa in which several policemen and drug dealers have been booked.
The three cases form part of the police-politician-drug mafia nexus, in which state Home Minister Ravi Naik`s son Roy has been linked.
The nexus was exposed after a Swedish model and an ex-girlfriend of an Israeli drug dealer Yaniv Benaim alias Atala uploaded videos of him boasting of his police links.
Atala, who was subsequently arrested by the police last year along with eight other police officers, later jumped bail and is now awaiting extradition in Lima, Peru.
Goa Police have also arrested another Israeli drug dealer, David Driham alias Dudu, who allegedly had links with politicians, senior police officers and journalists.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?