CBI seeks custody of Israeli drug lord Atala
Panaji: CBI Friday sought custody of Israeli
drug lord Yaniv Benaim alias Atala, who was recently brought here from Peru, in connection with policemen-politician-drug
peddler nexus case.
Atala, a main link in the high profile case, was remanded
in judicial custody on August 27 by the Narcotics Drugs and
Psychotropic Substances Court here after he was brought from
Peru by the CBI.
The agency, which has interrogated the fugitive once in
the judicial lock-up, has sought his custody to get more
details out of him about the nexus.
The NDPS court today heard the arguments by CBI`s special
prosecutor S R Rivonkar and adjourned the case till Tuesday.
CBI officials said that Atala is a hardened criminal and
it would require much more time to interrogate him.
The accused, who was caught on tape bragging about his links with the policemen, has not disclosed much information to CBI, which has taken over the case from state police.
The agency has sent Atala`s laptop and mobile for
scientific investigation to see whether any further leads
could be achieved.
The fugitive, who has got a red corner notice issued
against him, was carrying 11,000 euros and USD 3,000 with him
when he was intercepted by Interpol at an airport in Peru, the
officials said, adding that he possibly wanted to cross over
to Columbia, which is considered a drug heaven.
The Israeli drug lord, who was arrested in Goa earlier,
had jumped the bail in August last year and fled but was
arrested in Peru in January this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price