CBI to leave for Peru to get Israeli drug dealer
Panaji: A CBI team will leave for Peru
Thursday to bring back Israeli drug lord, an important link in
policemen-drug peddler nexus reported in Goa, a senior
official said today.
Yaniv Benaim alias Atala had jumped the bail in Goa in
August last year and was re-arrested in Peru in January, 2011.
The look-out circular was issued against him by the Interpol,
which helped in nabbing him while he was travelling from
Israel to Peru.
Deputy Inspector General of CBI Pravin Salunke said that
all the clearances to get Atala into India are in place.
"We will have to get him from there and a team led by
police inspector will visit Peru tomorrow (Thursday)," said
Salunke, who is personally monitoring the drug-nexus
He said that the extradition formalities are completed
and Atala would be interrogated in Goa.
The fugitive would be brought under tight security cover
to Goa considering his importance in the case.
Atala is an important link in the drug nexus case, which
was exposed last year through a spy cam video shot by his
former girlfriend Lucky Farmhouse.
The stunning revelation, which was further probed by
Crime Branch had seven policemen arrested for having links
with drug dealers.
The sleuths attached to elite Anti Narcotic Cell (ANC)
were found to be pushing back drugs, which was seized in the
raids, in the coastal belt.
Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik`s son, Roy`s name has also
come under scanner during the investigation. Farmhouse had
claimed that Roy was a frequent visitor to their place and was
providing them drugs.
Bombay High Court at Goa, through an order, had handed
over the investigations to CBI after Congress-led students`
organisation ? Nationalist Students Union of India (NSUI),
filed a petition alleging shoddy probe by Crime Branch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'