CEC agrees that Goa govt is giving out jobs
Panaji: Chief Election Commissioner SY
Quraishi on Friday said that government jobs were being handed out
by the state government in the run-up to the Goa Legislative
But he said the Election Commission of India had no
powers to act till the model code of conduct was in place.
The EC team was in Goa to review election preparations.
Assembly polls are due in mid-next year in Goa.
"The jobs are being given, but we don`t have the powers
to do anything before the code of conduct," said Quraishi, who
had received complaints that ministers were handing out jobs
ahead of the polls.
Opposition BJP too raised the issue with Election
Commission officials today.
Quraishi said the state`s chief secretary had been asked
to give detailed report on the government job situation during
last meeting. "I have yet to meet the chief secretary. I am
awaiting report from him," he said.
However, Goa Chief Secretary Sanjay Srivastava said
soon after the meeting with EC officials that nobody had
sought any report from his office, or from him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley