CEC agrees that Goa govt is giving out jobs
Panaji: Chief Election Commissioner SY
Quraishi on Friday said that government jobs were being handed out
by the state government in the run-up to the Goa Legislative
But he said the Election Commission of India had no
powers to act till the model code of conduct was in place.
The EC team was in Goa to review election preparations.
Assembly polls are due in mid-next year in Goa.
"The jobs are being given, but we don`t have the powers
to do anything before the code of conduct," said Quraishi, who
had received complaints that ministers were handing out jobs
ahead of the polls.
Opposition BJP too raised the issue with Election
Commission officials today.
Quraishi said the state`s chief secretary had been asked
to give detailed report on the government job situation during
last meeting. "I have yet to meet the chief secretary. I am
awaiting report from him," he said.
However, Goa Chief Secretary Sanjay Srivastava said
soon after the meeting with EC officials that nobody had
sought any report from his office, or from him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels