Central Excise officer caught taking bribe in Goa
Panaji: A senior Central Excise officer was
today arrested by CBI for allegedly accepting a bribe of
Rs 18,000 near here.
Superintendent of Central Excise A S Patil was allegedly
accepting the bribe from a scrap dealer in Bicholim town, 30
km from here, CBI (anti-corruption bureau) Superintendent of
Police S S Gavli told reporters.
CBI laid a trap after the dealer complained about constant
harassment for bribe by the officer, he said.
The accused-officer had allegedly demanded money from the
dealer and threatened to stop his business in Ponda town, 35km
from here, if he failed to pay up, Gavli said.
Patil has been booked under Prevention of Corruption Act
and remanded in two-day CBI custody by a court here.
Gavli said Patil`s movable and immovable properties in Goa
and Mumbai are being probed. The probe agency sleuths raided
the excise officer`s house in Mumbai after the arrest.
CBI said they have gathered evidence against the accused,
including an audio recording.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah