Centre sanctions aid to spruce-up security along Goa coastline
Panaji: The Goa government has said the
Centre has sanctioned funds for setting up more police
stations along the state`s coastline in a bid to spruce-up
security in the area.
Chief Minister Digamber Kamat told reporters Tuesday
that the Union Home Minister P Chidambaram has agreed to
sanction four coastal police stations in addition to the
existing three stations to be set up along the state`s
"The second phase of coastal security will be cleared in
April. We have already identified locations to set up these
stations," Kamat, who returned from Delhi after attending
chief ministers` conference on security, said.
Goa has also been advised to tie up with Maharashtra for
its police training, Kamat said, adding that he has already
discussed the issue with the neighbouring state which has
agreed to extend cooperation.
"We don`t have advanced police training school. So the
union ministry has asked to upgrade the existing police
training school at Valpoi," Kamat said.
Goa will receive much needed experts advice from
Maharashtra, which is having advanced police training school,
Goa, which is being receiving bad press for attacks on
tourists, has asked the Centre for additional 50 police
control room vans to strengthen the existing network of the
"Chidambaram had assured that Goa being a tourist place,
the funds for procuring these vans would be provided in the
next 10 days," Kamat said.
"We have moved a proposal of Rs five crores for the
same," he said.
Replying to a query, the Chief Minister denied that the
issue of current attacks on tourists in the state figured in
the Delhi meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Buying your dream home in Gurgaon to get cheaper; circle rates might be slashed
- Shame! This man approached UP Police to register complaint, was forced to polish cops' shoes instead – Watch
- Mood swings! What's on Parineeti Chopra's mind?
- WATCH: IPL 2016 final highlights: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs SunRisers Hyderabad
- Fast, stretchy circuits could revolutionise Internet of Things!