Centre should bother more about safety of mines: P
Panaji: Referring to Union Ministry of Environment`s letter over the issue of mining, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar today criticised the Centre saying it was "bothering more about the iron ore dumps, than the safety of mines".
Parrikar was speaking during the Zero Hour in the Goa Legislative Assembly here today.
He was referring to the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests` letter, which asked the state government to make environment clearance (EC) certificate compulsory before mining reject dumps are handled.
"The central government`s institutions like the Mines Safety Department and the Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM) should ensure the safety on the mines. But instead of that, it is only interested in mining dumps," he said.
Union Mines Ministry and Ministry of Environment and Forests had written two separate letters to Goa government, asking it to make EC mandatory before allowing the mining reject dumps to be exported.
Both the ministries have said that the handling of the dump can have huge environment impact.
Parrikar said that the Mines Safety Dept and the IBM should have ensured that there was no violation of safety laws on the mining leases. "But they are not doing anything. Goa government will now make sure that the life of people on mines are not put to danger," he assured.
The chief minister was responding to an issue raised by Bicholim legislator Naresh Sawal, who had pointed out that a wall of mining company has collapsed on a famous waterfall in his constituency.
Parrikar clarified that even though the mining companies are giving donation to the political parties that would not stop the government from taking any action against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!