Centre should bother more about safety of mines: P
Panaji: Referring to Union Ministry of Environment`s letter over the issue of mining, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar today criticised the Centre saying it was "bothering more about the iron ore dumps, than the safety of mines".
Parrikar was speaking during the Zero Hour in the Goa Legislative Assembly here today.
He was referring to the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests` letter, which asked the state government to make environment clearance (EC) certificate compulsory before mining reject dumps are handled.
"The central government`s institutions like the Mines Safety Department and the Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM) should ensure the safety on the mines. But instead of that, it is only interested in mining dumps," he said.
Union Mines Ministry and Ministry of Environment and Forests had written two separate letters to Goa government, asking it to make EC mandatory before allowing the mining reject dumps to be exported.
Both the ministries have said that the handling of the dump can have huge environment impact.
Parrikar said that the Mines Safety Dept and the IBM should have ensured that there was no violation of safety laws on the mining leases. "But they are not doing anything. Goa government will now make sure that the life of people on mines are not put to danger," he assured.
The chief minister was responding to an issue raised by Bicholim legislator Naresh Sawal, who had pointed out that a wall of mining company has collapsed on a famous waterfall in his constituency.
Parrikar clarified that even though the mining companies are giving donation to the political parties that would not stop the government from taking any action against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical