`Centre should bother more about safety of mines`
Panaji: Referring to Union Ministry of Environment`s letter over the issue of mining, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday criticised the Centre saying it was "bothering more about the iron ore dumps, than the safety of mines".
Parrikar was speaking during Zero Hour in the Goa Legislative Assembly here today.
He was referring to the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests` letter, which asked the state government to make environment clearance (EC) certificate compulsory before mining reject dumps are handled.
"The central government`s institutions like the Mines Safety Department and the Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM) should ensure the safety on the mines. But instead of that, it is only interested in mining dumps," he said.
Union Mines Ministry and Ministry of Environment and Forests had written two separate letters to Goa government, asking it to make EC mandatory before allowing the mining reject dumps to be exported.
Both the ministries have said that the handling of the dump can have huge environment impact.
Parrikar said the Mines Safety Department and the IBM should have ensured that there was no violation of safety laws on the mining leases. "But they are not doing anything. Goa government will now make sure that the life of people on mines are not put to danger," he assured.
The chief minister was responding to an issue raised by Bicholim legislator Naresh Sawal, who had pointed out that a wall of mining company has collapsed on a famous waterfall in his constituency.
Parrikar clarified that even though the mining companies are giving donation to political parties, that would not stop the government from taking any action against them.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Watch: Beautiful time-lapse video of a night flight from India to China!
- Kerala minister, Left candidate attacked with chair, stones during live TV debate
- Can you see the correct picture? Click to know
- Narendra Modi, his govt protecting AgustaWestland for last two years: Congress
- Eleven shocking revelations made by Adhyayan Suman against Kangana Ranaut