Chiranjeevi to open Goa Carnival
Panaji: Telugu superstar K Chiranjeevi will be inaugurating the five-day carnival festivities to be held across Goa, beginning February 9.
Chiranjeevi will open the float parade in Panaji on the first day of the festivities, state tourism minister Dilip Parulekar told reporters.
The carnival parades have been an annual feature for the traditional festivities organised across five cities in the state each day.
Parulekar said the parades would be held in the cities of Panaji, Mapusa, Margao, Vasco and one more town, which is yet to be decided.
Thousands of locals and tourists witness these parades which are spearheaded by a float of King Momo, a mythological figure who rules the state for three days.
The Carnival celebrations were brought to Goa by erstwhile Portuguese rulers, and has now become an integral part of Goa`s festivity calendar.
The minister also said that a Sea Food festival, starting a day ahead, on February 8 would be held at the outskirts of Panaji in the run up for Carnival.
"We have invited various states like Maharashtra, Karnataka, Kerala and Gujarat to participate in the event along with the host state," Parulekar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened