‘Churchill must apologise for remarks on priests’
Panaji: In more trouble for former Goa
Congress minister Churchill Alemao, after his remarks against
Catholic priests here, a church-backed front has demanded a
public apology for the same, and termed his allegations as
Alemao had claimed that the Congress was defeated in the
recent Goa polls as 80 per cent of Catholic priests appealed
people not to vote for the party.
However, the All Goa Catholic Minority Front (AGCMF),
backed by the Goa church, rubbished the allegations as
"baseless" and said, "Churchill Alemao should have gracefully
accepted the mandate of the people who vented their anger and
sought for a change."
All the four members from Alemao family Churchill
(Navelim), Joaquim (Cuncolim), Valanka (Benaulim) and Yuri
(Sanguem), had lost the recent assembly elections in Goa.
AGCMF Convenor Bernabe Sapeco said that by levelling
allegations against clergy, Alemao is showing his frustration
The Front, on the other hand, welcomed a statement by
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar to alter dates of IFFI so that
they don`t clash with the celebration of feast of St Francis
Xavier at Old Goa.
The Congress government had earned people`s ire for IFFI
dates clashing with the feast, which is attended by over a
lakh devotees from across the globe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read