Clampdown on beach side shacks to curb drug menace in Goa
Panaji: In an effort to get rid of the growing menace of drugs along Goa`s shore line, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) has launched a clamp down on the beach side shacks, eateries, discotheques and pubs in the state.
India`s premier anti-narcotics agency has joined hands with the state authorities to shut down these premises, which are doubling up as narcotics dens.
NCB superintendent (Goa zone) Ravi Kumar Rana said that one such shack, Shiva Valley, at Anjuna beach, was closed down last month after narcotics-related activities were reported from there.
The state Tourism Department, following reports from the NCB, had issued shut-down notice to the shack for the next three years.
Rana said that more such establishments are on the radar of the anti narcotic sleuths, who have begun intensive intelligence gathering along the coastline that is infested with the drug menace.
"The central and state agencies are working in coordination to ensure that the drug trade is eliminated from the state," Rana said.
He added that the awareness programmes are also being held across the state to sensitise people about the ill-effects of the drug abuse and also seek their cooperation in getting inputs about the narco-trade.
Following the Government of India directives, the NCB has decided to install signages displaying warning against the drug consumption in 2,500 establishments - discotheques, pubs, clubs, shacks, across Goa.
Rana said that similar initiative is being taken in Delhi, while it is being undertaken in the states like Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre