Cong boycotts Goa Assembly session, draws criticism of Speaker
Panaji: Congress MLAs today boycotted the session of Goa State Legislative Assembly, drawing criticism from Speaker Rajendra Arlekar who termed the move as "politicising of the legislative functioning".
The Congress members boycotted the session to protest against Speaker`s decision to hold it on the occasion of Eid.
The decision to boycott the session was taken yesterday by the Congress Legislative Party. The party said that the government "behaved in a way that amounts to not respecting individual freedom to practice religion".
Reacting to this, the Speaker said the Opposition members, who were taken into confidence while holding the business today, "grabbed the opportunity at the last minute trying to score political points out of it."
"It is not right to use the platform like state legislative assembly for politics," the Speaker said in the beginning of the session this morning.
He said that on September 25 the Business Advisory Committee (BAC) which has representation of the Congress had passed the business of the House.
The BAC report was tabled on October 9, which was also adopted by all the members, including the Opposition benches.
"There was no discussion on the issue during the entire session and suddenly last evening, the Opposition benches thought of indulging in politics over the entire issue," he recalled.
Wishing Muslims on the occasion of Eid, the Speaker said that the House was not against any community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- LeEco Le Max 2: Aiming to outshine rivals with powerful hardware, CDLA technology
- WATCH: How Lionel Messi missed crucial penalty kick in Copa America final against Chile
- When Varun Dhawan, John Abraham came to Jacqueline Fernandez's rescue—Full story inside
- Congress stalwart Sheila Dikhsit refuses to become CM face for 2017 UP elections
- Modi govt shortlists 4 candidates to succeed Raghuram Rajan as RBI Governor