Cong wants Goa govt to re-design its Ladli Lakshmi scheme
Panaji: The Congress party in Goa on Wednesday demanded that the state government should revisit its flagship Ladli Lakshmi scheme, as it is promoting discord between families.
Congress Goa spokesman Sudip Tamankar said that the scheme, which provides Rs one lakh to the girl for her marriage, is encouraging the dowry practice.
"We have received complaints that there are fights between bride and bridegroom`s family to secure that Rs one lakh, which is creating problems in marriages," Tamankar said.
Ladli Lakshmi scheme was launched by the BJP-led Manohar Parrikar government as a part of its election promise given during the last State Legislative Assembly election.
Tamankar said the state government should re-design the scheme online with the one adopted by BJP government in Karnataka where the deposit is kept in girl’s account, when she is born.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III