Cong wants Goa govt to re-design its Ladli Lakshmi scheme
Panaji: The Congress party in Goa on Wednesday demanded that the state government should revisit its flagship Ladli Lakshmi scheme, as it is promoting discord between families.
Congress Goa spokesman Sudip Tamankar said that the scheme, which provides Rs one lakh to the girl for her marriage, is encouraging the dowry practice.
"We have received complaints that there are fights between bride and bridegroom`s family to secure that Rs one lakh, which is creating problems in marriages," Tamankar said.
Ladli Lakshmi scheme was launched by the BJP-led Manohar Parrikar government as a part of its election promise given during the last State Legislative Assembly election.
Tamankar said the state government should re-design the scheme online with the one adopted by BJP government in Karnataka where the deposit is kept in girl’s account, when she is born.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you