Cong won`t engineer defection by BJP MLAs in Goa:
Panaji: Amid reports of some Goa BJP MLAs being disgruntled with Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh has said his party would not back any move to destabilise the BJP-led state government.
He, however, said the party was not averse to the Parrikar government falling on its own.
"We will not engineer any defection, but if Parrikar government falls on its own, then we are not to be blamed," Singh was quoted as having told Congress legislators during a closed-door meeting, a senior party leader said on condition of anonymity.
There were reports that a section of BJP MLAs unhappy with Parrikar`s functioning was in touch with their Congress counterparts and independent legislators to explore the possibility of bringing down the Parrikar government.
"Singh told the legislators not to be the part of any (such) political activity. The high command is not supporting any defections in Goa right now," the leader told a news agency today.
The BJP, however, has denied its MLAs were disgruntled with Parrikar and were hobnobbing with the Opposition to pull down the government.
"The reports that our legislators are grouping with the Opposition is a rumour...It has no basis," BJP Goa unit president Vinay Tendulkar said.
Independent legislator Vijay Sardesai, who claims to have attended several such meetings, said a group within the BJP had taken the lead to destabilise the government.
He said the move could not fructify as "Congress is not the best possible alternative to form the government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued