Congress accuses Goa govt of `backdoor legalisation` of mines
Panaji: Goa unit of Congress on Friday termed stamp duty collection by the state government as "backdoor legalisation of mines".
Speaking to reporters here, Congress spokesperson Sudip Tamankar alleged that the BJP government was collecting stamp duty from the mine owners whose fate was yet to be decided by the Supreme Court on illegal mining.
This was "a backdoor legalisation of the mines", he said.
He also alleged that Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, who also handles mines portfolio, was acting in the favour of mine operators.
Authorities have collected about Rs 200 crore for renewal of mine leases in the state, after BJP-led government came to power last March.
The Congress spokesperson also demanded that mine owners should be made to pay for the special road corridors, instead of government spending public money on them.
The state is planning special corridors to divert the mining truck traffic from the thickly populated areas to avoid pollution from ore dust.
Citing section 8 of Environmental Clearance Rules, Tamankar said maintenance of village roads is to be carried out by the mining companies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why