Congress for special assembly session to discuss Goa mining issue
Panaji: The Congress on Friday demanded a special one-day session of the Goa legislative assembly to discuss the illegal mining issue, even as a mining department official suspended earlier this month committed suicide on Friday.
"The Congress demands that the state legislative assembly be convened for a special session, even if it is for one day to discuss the mining issue. The assembly should meet and take adequate steps on the issue," Congress spokesperson Sudip Tamhankar said here.
On the alleged suicide by D Bhave, a suspended official of the department of mines and geology, Tamhankar said Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar was specifically targeting honest officials and this led Bhave to commit suicide.
"In the name of the mining scam, Parrikar is doing selective targeting. All mining department officials should be probed independently," Tamhankar said.
Another senior Congress leader Jitendra Deshprabhu demanded that Parrikar, also a mines minister, be booked by police for abetting Bhave`s suicide.
Tamhankar also said that Pratapsing Rane and Digambar Kamat, the two Congress chief ministers indicted in Rs.35,000 crore scam by Justice MB Shah Commission, could have turned a blind eye to mining related illegalities because of the number of people depending on the industry.
"They could have a soft corner because so many people earn a living from mining. You cannot blame them for thinking about masses," Tamhankar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Babies affected by Zika prone to eye damage: Research
- Now cancel counter-booked wait-listed train tickets online
- Watch: How a bionic suit helped a paralyzed father make his daughter's wedding day memorable!
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round