Congress MP describes Parrikar`s work ethic
Panaji: A Congress MP Saturday used a dialogue from the iconic film `Sholay` to describe what he believed was the work ethic of the 12-member Goa cabinet, led by Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
Addressing a press conference in Panaji, Goa`s lone MP in the Rajya Sabha, Shantaram Naik said that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led coalition government was a "one man" operation with the chief minister "controlling" all decisions.
"It is like the attitude of Gabbar Singh from `Sholay`. At every stage we get reminded of `kitne admi the` (how many persons were there?). In essence there is only one, Parrikar.
The other ministers don`t mean anything," Naik said, referring to the Ramesh Sippy blockbuster of the 1970s.
"Institutions are being destroyed in Goa and those who do not toe the line, whether they be members of panchayats, municipalities, cooperative institutions, sports bodies, are shown the door," Naik said at a media briefing.
"I hope the government does not impose conditions on the beneficiaries of `Laadli Laxmi` that they will get the assistance only if they take the grooms chosen by BJP," Naik quipped.
The MP was referring to the scheme floated by the BJP government to curb female infanticide, where women who turn 18 are given Rs.1 lakh to cover marriage expenses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'