Congress-NCP alliance announcement in Goa likely today
Panaji: After announcing parting of ways, the Congress and the NCP has inched closer for a pre-poll alliance in Goa, with the Sharad Pawar-led party unlikely to contest from both the Lok Sabha constituencies.
The possibility of NCP bowing down to the Congress has increased after leaders from Goa met Pawar in Mumbai this evening, sources said, adding that Pawar was against division of votes, which might favour BJP candidates.
A formal announcement on the alliance would be made tomorrow after Pawar and NCP`s senior leader Praful Patel meets Goa NCP leaders in Mumbai again.
"Ideally, the alliance means NCP will not contest from both seats, giving away North Goa seat to the Congress which was traditionally fought by the Pawar-led NCP," sources said.
NCP leaders have insisted that they should get a better share of seats for the 2017 Goa Assembly election from the Congress party, which has been always ended up with a larger pie during seat sharing in 40 constituencies.
NCP Goa chief spokesman Trojano D`Mello said that the final decision on the alliance would be made tomorrow and subsequently, the announcement would be made.
The NCP, which was upset with the Congress for refusing them the North Goa, seat had announced that they would contest from both the constituencies and break the alliance.
The party had even announced its state chief Nilkant Halarnkar as a candidate from North Goa and Yuri Alemao as its South Goa candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death