Congress to contest both Lok Sabha seats in Goa
Panaji: The Congress is all set to sever its electoral ties with NCP in Goa for the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls.
Goa Pradesh Congress Committee President John Fernandes told reporters on Friday that the high command has given its nod for contesting both LS seats in the state, as against the earlier arrangement of sharing one seat with the NCP.
The Congress-NCP has fought last two Lok Sabha elections in alliance besides the State Legislative Assembly polls. The NCP had contested on North Goa while South Goa was for Congress candidate.
Fernandes said the list of candidates has already been shortlisted and sent to Delhi. "The decision on the candidate will be made by the High command," he said.
While Congress had managed to win the South Goa seat, the NCP has been losing to BJP candidate in North Goa.
Fernandes said the NCP had borrowed Congress candidate during last LS polls.
"After the defeat, he was transferred to Congress again," the GPCC chief said referring to Congress stalwart Jitendra Deshprabhu`s unsuccessful attempt to win the North Goa seat.
Goa has two Parliamentary seats of which North is won by BJP and South by Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!