Contractor arrested in illegal mining case in Goa
Panaji: A contractor realted to senior
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Jitendra Deshprabhu
was arrested on Friday in the illegal mining case.
Gitesh Naik, a contractor who transported ore
illegally extracted from the property owned by Deshprabhu was
arrested here, Crime Branch officials said.
Police have been investigating the case of illegal
mining in the land belonging to Deshprabhu in Korgao village.
The crime branch had registered cases against several
government officials including Director of Mines, Transport
Director and others along with Deshprabhu and his contractor
Deshprabhu has been accused of mining ore worth Rs 50
crore from his property since 2007.
State Mines and Geology department had fined
Deshprabhu for Rs 1.7 crore after investigations confirmed
that he had indulged in illegal mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report