Contractor arrested in illegal mining case in Goa
Panaji: A contractor realted to senior
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Jitendra Deshprabhu
was arrested on Friday in the illegal mining case.
Gitesh Naik, a contractor who transported ore
illegally extracted from the property owned by Deshprabhu was
arrested here, Crime Branch officials said.
Police have been investigating the case of illegal
mining in the land belonging to Deshprabhu in Korgao village.
The crime branch had registered cases against several
government officials including Director of Mines, Transport
Director and others along with Deshprabhu and his contractor
Deshprabhu has been accused of mining ore worth Rs 50
crore from his property since 2007.
State Mines and Geology department had fined
Deshprabhu for Rs 1.7 crore after investigations confirmed
that he had indulged in illegal mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'