Court acquits Goan of NDPS charge
Thane: A 52-year-old resident of Goa, who was allegedly caught consuming drugs at a rave party in 2006, has been acquitted by a local court as the prosecution failed to prove its case.
Special NDPS Judge R D Sawant acquitted Sadruddin Gulam Hussain Kara on Wednesday from charges under Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act by giving him the benefit of doubt.
The court pulled up Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS), which had conducted the raid at the rave party on September 23, 2006, for not following the provisions of NDPS Act while conducting the raid.
The prosecution told the court that on the same day ATS officials received information about a rave party going on at Golkonda in Gorai area of Bhayander in Thane district.
Accordingly, a raid was conducted and it was found that many persons were present at the rave party. One of them was Sadruddin, who was found to be consuming `Charas` and hence he was arrested under various sections of NDPS Act.
The court noted that procedures were not followed for conducting the raid. For instance, senior police inspector Khaire, who had received information about the rave party on phone while he was in office, had not noted down the details in the station diary, as required under the Act.
Hence, there was no record to show that he had received information.
"Further, Khaire communicated the information to his senior on telephone as there was nothing on record to show this. It also appears that his superiors gave permission to conduct the raid verbally on telephone as written permission was not sought as required under the Act," the judge noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage