Custody of man who gave contract to harm Naik`s family sought
Panaji: Goa Police on Friday sought custody of
Joe Boy alias Jose Lopes, who allegedly gave contract to harm
state Home Minister Ravi Naik`s family.
In an application moved before the district and sessions
court in Panaji, police have objected to the anticipatory bail
filed by the fugitive, who has been missing ever since his
involvement in giving contract to harm Naik`s family,
especially his son Roy, was revealed.
"Since the disclosure to eliminate the Home Minister`s
son has come to light, police made adequate efforts to trace
the applicant (Joe) to interrogate him for verification of his
involvement in the alleged offer to harm the Minister`s son
but he could not be traced. His police custody is required,"
DySP Pandharinath Mapari said in his application.
Lopes, wanted in almost 15 cases, had allegedly given a
contract to notorious robber Michael Fernandes, to harm Naik`s
Micheal, during his custodial interrogation, had
confessed of receiving the contract.
Mapari said another criminal Rajesh Devar had also
confirmed about Lopes` intentions to harm Naik`s family.
The district court will give its verdict on Lopes`
anticipatory bail plea on April 25.
Goa Police have pleaded that the anticipatory bail should
not be granted to Lopes as he was also involved in several
other cases and his custodial interrogation was required to
take them to their logical end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill