Dabolim airport will not be shut for civilians: Parrikar
Panaji: The Indian Navy-run military-cum-civilian airport at Dabolim will not be shut when a new greenfield airport at Mopa in north Goa comes up, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has said.
"There is no question of stopping operations there. The Dabolim airport is a must for Goa," Parrikar said, adding that a new airport at Mopa, 45 km from here, was essential because of increasing air traffic.
Parrikar was responding to a question in the assembly Wednesday.
"The Goa airport handles 3.5 million tourists. There are 25,000 flights landing and taking off every year. The maximum capacity for handling passengers at the Dabolim airport is only 900 passengers per hour, but currently it is handling 2,000 passengers per hour," Parrikar said.
He added that the new airport at Mopa village could get going within three to four years if the formalities were completed and construction was carried out unhindered.
The debate over the Dabolim airport in south Goa and the upcoming Mopa airport in north Goa has divided public opinion here virtually on regional lines. While the hotels as well as the tourism industry and other stakeholders in south Goa are rooting for Dabolim to be functional, a similar lobby in north Goa is gunning for expediting construction of the new airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan