Digvijay asks Goa Congress to open its doors to new people
Panaji: Against the backdrop of a humiliating rout faced by the party during the last Goa state legislative assembly elections, senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh told partymen on Wednesday, to open its doors to new people.
"We have to open our doors to new people. We have to reach new sections of people. At the same time we need to give voice to the people of Goa," Singh told the gathering of Goa Pradesh Congress committee, state office bearers and prominent party workers in Panaji today.
"Let`s not be disappointed with the defeat during the last election. You need to win back the confidence of Goa`s people. Congress stands for inclusive politics and development of Goa," he said.
Singh, who was recently nominated Goa desk in-charge, said that issues are important for the party.
Despite a media campaign, he said that the Congress is on the upswing.
"Inspite of all that the media has reported, in every election except Goa and Bihar, we have been winning. The vote share of BJP has come down," he said.
He termed the 2014 Lok Sabha elections as a challenge.
Referring issues in Goa, Singh said that the Congress cannot support illegal mining.
"But a macro view has to be taken. While mining has to go on, we cannot allow ecology to be destroyed. The Congress has to take a view which will encourage employment and also ensure that the environmental impact due to mining is minimised," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!