Digvijay asks Goa Congress to open its doors to new people
Panaji: Against the backdrop of a humiliating rout faced by the party during the last Goa state legislative assembly elections, senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh told partymen on Wednesday, to open its doors to new people.
"We have to open our doors to new people. We have to reach new sections of people. At the same time we need to give voice to the people of Goa," Singh told the gathering of Goa Pradesh Congress committee, state office bearers and prominent party workers in Panaji today.
"Let`s not be disappointed with the defeat during the last election. You need to win back the confidence of Goa`s people. Congress stands for inclusive politics and development of Goa," he said.
Singh, who was recently nominated Goa desk in-charge, said that issues are important for the party.
Despite a media campaign, he said that the Congress is on the upswing.
"Inspite of all that the media has reported, in every election except Goa and Bihar, we have been winning. The vote share of BJP has come down," he said.
He termed the 2014 Lok Sabha elections as a challenge.
Referring issues in Goa, Singh said that the Congress cannot support illegal mining.
"But a macro view has to be taken. While mining has to go on, we cannot allow ecology to be destroyed. The Congress has to take a view which will encourage employment and also ensure that the environmental impact due to mining is minimised," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video