Draft Goa Lokayukta Bill submitted to CM
Panaji: The draft Goa Lokayukta Bill, which
draws inspiration from the JanLokpal, was submitted to Chief
Minister Digambar Kamat on Monday with many important provisions
including the one to bring the state head under its ambit.
After formally accepting the draft, Kamat told reporters
that the Bill would be tabled before the forthcoming State
Legislative Assembly session beginning from October 4.
Goa Law Commission Chairman Ramakant Khalap said there
are parts from Jan Lokpal Bill including separate prosecution
wing under Lokayukta, separate court and others that are
embedded in the draft.
"We may be criticised for doing cut and paste job from
bills like Jan Lokpal Bill, Lokpal bill and Central government
bills. But we have taken large portions from those bills,"
Khalap told reporters.
He said that every complaint reported to Lokayukta would
be investigated within six months and the special court will
have to prosecute it in one year.
The draft bill gives power to Lokayukta to enquire suo
moto as well as on complaint and reference by government into
all allegations of corruption, favouritism, nepotism, lack of
integrity and others.
In an important provision, the Lokayukta will be
empowered to take action against all functionaries including
Chief Minister, Ministers, MLAs, and all government servants
as well as office bears of local bodies, municipalities, Zilla
parishads, panchayats, cooperative societies, societies,
government companies, NGOs and individuals getting grant of
more than Rs one lakh from the government or foreign or public
"A high court judge will alone be qualified to be
Lokayukta or Upa-Lokayukta," Khalap said adding that the
Lokayukta will have its own investigation and prosecution
"Special courts will be established to try the
offenders," he said.
Khalap said no previous authorisation or sanction will
be required to take cognisance of any complaint or to probe
into any offence of corruption or to prosecute an offender.
Moreover, all public functionaries will be liable to
disclose their assets, he said adding that disproportionate
assets will be confiscated and bank accounts may be frozen.
"Pending inquiry a public functionary may be transferred
or suspended," the draft reads.
It has also made it mandatory for every department to
publish its citizen charter and update it regularly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!