Drive in Goa to curb reckless driving accidents by students
Panaji: The Goa transport department has begun an extensive drive against students plying two-wheelers without licence, after a fatal accident left three college youths dead in Ponda town here.
The department has started confiscating student vehicles sans licence by posting special squads near higher secondary schools and colleges across the state.
Director of Transport Arun Desai said the drive began on December 18 and more than 250 challans have been already issued against students.
The vehicles can be taken away only after its owner makes an appearance before the authorities, he said.
The department swung into action after three college going youths, who were recklessly driving triple seat on a two-wheeler, were recently killed in an accident while they were returning from a trip to Bondla zoo near Ponda.
Desai said the vehicles would be returned after issuing a warning to the owner and if the same student or vehicle is found violating norms for the second time, a charge sheet under Motor Vehicle Act would be filed against them.
Government statistics reveal 4,087 road accidents during the current calendar year till December 15, including 225 fatal mishaps resulting in 242 deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez