`Drug dealers can meet visitors in Goa jails, legislators can`t`
Panaji: A drug dealer can meet visitors in the prison, but an arrested legislator is not allowed to meet another legislator in Goa, a Congress leader said on Sunday, accusing the police of partisan behaviour.
Agnelo Fernandes, a ruling party legislator from Calangute legislative constituency had gone to meet former tourism minister Mickky Pachecho - arrested for culpable homicide - on Saturday when he was denied permission.
"Drug dealers like David Driham (Dudu) and Yaniv Benaim (Atala) are allowed to meet visitors when they are in the lock up. But a legislator, elected by the people is not allowed to meet anyone? Not even another legislator?" Fernandes told reporters.
Fernandes was referring to two Israeli drug dealers, Dudu and Atala, who were recently arrested in connection with the police-politician-drug nexus. State home minister Ravi Naik`s son Roy, has also been allegedly linked to the nexus.
"I wanted to meet Pacheco. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. This is the principle which guides the judicial system in India," Fernandes said.
Pacheco is currently in police custody after he was arrested in connection with the death of his 28-year-old lover Nadia Torrado.
Fernandes, for several times in the past, has rung warning bells about the growing clout of drug trade in Goa.
He had also said that he knows numerous instances where peddlers sold drugs in Goa on motorcycles, with police personnel as the pillion rider.
Fernandes is a senior Congress party legislator and is the chairman of the state-run Economic Development Corporation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference