Drug nexus case: Atala to reach Goa by next week
Panaji: Israeli drug lord Yaniv Benaim alias
Atala, who will be brought from Peru, is expected to reach Goa
on August 21 or a day after, a top CBI official said on Thursday.
A CBI team has already left from Goa to take the custody
of the fugitive, who is a prime link in the policemen-drug
peddler nexus case.
Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Pravin Salunke said the
team will reach Peru tonight and immediately begin the
formalities to take the custody of Atala.
"Atala would be brought to Goa on August 21 or August
22," he said.
CBI has taken a warrant against Atala from Goa court. "He
(Atala) would be produced before the court for the remand,"
Salunke said adding that Atala`s interrogation would be
entirely dependent on the Court order.
The probe agency has also made elaborate arrangements to
transport Atala from airport to court and further.
"CBI is strong enough to take care of the security
measures. If required, we will take help of Goa police,"
Atala is an important witness in the policemen-drug
peddler nexus case, which was exposed last year by his former
girlfriend Lucky Farmhouse.
Seven policemen were arrested for their nexus with the
drug lobby operating on the coastal belt. Atala who was
arrested last year in March 2010 after the media expose was
granted bail in the June, which he jumped in August.
Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik`s son Roy`s name also came
under scanner during the investigation of drug nexus.
Farmhouse had claimed that Roy was frequent visitor to
their place and was providing them drugs.
The Goa bench of the Bombay High Court through an order,
had handed over the investigations to CBI after Congress-led
students` organisation, Nationalist Students Union of India
(NSUI), filed a petition against shoddy probe by the crime
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note