Drug nexus case: Atala to reach Goa by next week
Panaji: Israeli drug lord Yaniv Benaim alias
Atala, who will be brought from Peru, is expected to reach Goa
on August 21 or a day after, a top CBI official said on Thursday.
A CBI team has already left from Goa to take the custody
of the fugitive, who is a prime link in the policemen-drug
peddler nexus case.
Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Pravin Salunke said the
team will reach Peru tonight and immediately begin the
formalities to take the custody of Atala.
"Atala would be brought to Goa on August 21 or August
22," he said.
CBI has taken a warrant against Atala from Goa court. "He
(Atala) would be produced before the court for the remand,"
Salunke said adding that Atala`s interrogation would be
entirely dependent on the Court order.
The probe agency has also made elaborate arrangements to
transport Atala from airport to court and further.
"CBI is strong enough to take care of the security
measures. If required, we will take help of Goa police,"
Atala is an important witness in the policemen-drug
peddler nexus case, which was exposed last year by his former
girlfriend Lucky Farmhouse.
Seven policemen were arrested for their nexus with the
drug lobby operating on the coastal belt. Atala who was
arrested last year in March 2010 after the media expose was
granted bail in the June, which he jumped in August.
Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik`s son Roy`s name also came
under scanner during the investigation of drug nexus.
Farmhouse had claimed that Roy was frequent visitor to
their place and was providing them drugs.
The Goa bench of the Bombay High Court through an order,
had handed over the investigations to CBI after Congress-led
students` organisation, Nationalist Students Union of India
(NSUI), filed a petition against shoddy probe by the crime
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day