Drug nexus case: Atala to reach Goa by next week
Panaji: Israeli drug lord Yaniv Benaim alias
Atala is expected to reach Goa from Peru by August 22, a top
CBI official on Thursday said.
A CBI team has already left Goa to take the custody of
the fugitive, who is believed to be a prime link in the
policemen-drug peddler nexus case, which was exposed last year
by Atala`s former girlfriend Lucky Farmhouse.
Deputy Inspector General Pravin Salunke said the team
will reach Peru tonight and immediately begin the formalities
to take his custody.
"Atala would be brought to Goa on August 21 or August
22," he said.
CBI has taken a warrant against Atala from Goa court. "He
(Atala) would be produced before the court for the remand,"
Salunke said, adding that Atala`s interrogation would be
entirely dependent on the court order.
The probe agency has also made elaborate arrangements to
transport Atala from airport to court and further.
"The CBI is strong enough to take care of the security
measures. If required, we will take help of Goa Police,"
Seven policemen were arrested for their nexus with the
drug lobby operating on the coastal belt. Atala who was
arrested last year in March after the media expose was granted
bail in the June, which he jumped in August.
The name of Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik`s son Roy also
came under scanner during the investigation. Farmhouse had
claimed that Roy was frequent visitor to their place and was
providing them drugs.
The Goa bench of the Bombay High Court through an order,
had handed over the investigations to CBI after Congress-led
students` organisation Nationalist Students Union of India,
filed a petition against shoddy probe by the crime branch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list