Drug nexus case: Atala to reach Goa by next week
Panaji: Israeli drug lord Yaniv Benaim alias
Atala is expected to reach Goa from Peru by August 22, a top
CBI official on Thursday said.
A CBI team has already left Goa to take the custody of
the fugitive, who is believed to be a prime link in the
policemen-drug peddler nexus case, which was exposed last year
by Atala`s former girlfriend Lucky Farmhouse.
Deputy Inspector General Pravin Salunke said the team
will reach Peru tonight and immediately begin the formalities
to take his custody.
"Atala would be brought to Goa on August 21 or August
22," he said.
CBI has taken a warrant against Atala from Goa court. "He
(Atala) would be produced before the court for the remand,"
Salunke said, adding that Atala`s interrogation would be
entirely dependent on the court order.
The probe agency has also made elaborate arrangements to
transport Atala from airport to court and further.
"The CBI is strong enough to take care of the security
measures. If required, we will take help of Goa Police,"
Seven policemen were arrested for their nexus with the
drug lobby operating on the coastal belt. Atala who was
arrested last year in March after the media expose was granted
bail in the June, which he jumped in August.
The name of Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik`s son Roy also
came under scanner during the investigation. Farmhouse had
claimed that Roy was frequent visitor to their place and was
providing them drugs.
The Goa bench of the Bombay High Court through an order,
had handed over the investigations to CBI after Congress-led
students` organisation Nationalist Students Union of India,
filed a petition against shoddy probe by the crime branch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today