Drugs case: Goa Home Minister`s son maybe quizzed
Panaji: The Goa police chief Friday did not rule out questioning the Home Minister`s son in connection with investigations into the drug mafia`s nexus with senior policemen and politicians.
"An investigating office has to decide the issue keeping in mind the need and anybody who may have knowledge about the crime, he should invariably be examined," Director General of Police (DGP) Bhimsain Bassi said when asked if Roy Naik - the son of minister Ravi Naik - would be called for questioning.
An Israeli newspaper has alleged that Roy Naik had links with the Israeli drug mafia operating in Goa. He has rubbished the charges, calling them "politically motivated".
Asked when exactly would Roy be questioned by police, Bassi said: "I cannot predict the future, but as far as the past is concerned we are doing a meticulous and professional investigation into the case."
Bassi was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a function held to inaugurate a forensic science seminar in Panaji.
Bassi said there was "no interference" from any quarter. "I am under no pressure. My officers are under no pressure. We are conducting investigations without fear or favour and the results are in front of you.
"If we wanted to favour anybody, then the investigation would have taken a different course right at the very beginning. Investigation is going on merits," Bassi said.
Bassi also offered no comments on reports that both he and Deputy Inspector General of Police Ravinder Singh Yadav had been bypassed by junior Crime Branch officers, who were reporting on the investigations directly to the home minister.
The opposition and students organisations across party lines have demanded that Home Minister Naik resign in order to facilitate an impartial probe against his son by a central investigation agency.
Seven policemen have been arrested for their alleged links to two Israeli drug dealers - Yaniv Benaim alias Atala and David Driham alias Dudu - in connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof