Drugs case: Goa Home Minister`s son maybe quizzed
Panaji: The Goa police chief Friday did not rule out questioning the Home Minister`s son in connection with investigations into the drug mafia`s nexus with senior policemen and politicians.
"An investigating office has to decide the issue keeping in mind the need and anybody who may have knowledge about the crime, he should invariably be examined," Director General of Police (DGP) Bhimsain Bassi said when asked if Roy Naik - the son of minister Ravi Naik - would be called for questioning.
An Israeli newspaper has alleged that Roy Naik had links with the Israeli drug mafia operating in Goa. He has rubbished the charges, calling them "politically motivated".
Asked when exactly would Roy be questioned by police, Bassi said: "I cannot predict the future, but as far as the past is concerned we are doing a meticulous and professional investigation into the case."
Bassi was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a function held to inaugurate a forensic science seminar in Panaji.
Bassi said there was "no interference" from any quarter. "I am under no pressure. My officers are under no pressure. We are conducting investigations without fear or favour and the results are in front of you.
"If we wanted to favour anybody, then the investigation would have taken a different course right at the very beginning. Investigation is going on merits," Bassi said.
Bassi also offered no comments on reports that both he and Deputy Inspector General of Police Ravinder Singh Yadav had been bypassed by junior Crime Branch officers, who were reporting on the investigations directly to the home minister.
The opposition and students organisations across party lines have demanded that Home Minister Naik resign in order to facilitate an impartial probe against his son by a central investigation agency.
Seven policemen have been arrested for their alleged links to two Israeli drug dealers - Yaniv Benaim alias Atala and David Driham alias Dudu - in connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi