DSP Bousette Silva to probe custodial death
Panaji: Following intervention by the Chief
Minister, Goa police today appointed an officer of the rank of
Deputy Superintendent of Police to probe alleged custodial
death of a man last week.
Superintendent of Police (North) Arvind Gawas said
that DSP Bousette Silva will investigate the case.
Cypriano Fernandes (39), who worked with merchant navy,
was arrested by Panaji police in the first week of this month
on the charge of threatening his girlfriend at knife-point
He died at the Goa Medical College hospital on January 8.
The family members had petitioned Chief Minister Digambar
Kamat this week demanding stern action against the police
officers responsible for the death. Kamat had sought a report
on the matter.
According to his relatives, Cypriano was assaulted by
police in the jeep when he was being taken to police station,
and later in the police lock-up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement