EC allows Water Ministry to seek Cabinet`s nod for scheme
New Delhi: With the model code of conduct in force, the Water Resources Ministry had sought the Election Commission`s approval to place before the Union Cabinet a scheme to better predict floods, which the EC has allowed.
The Ministry had recently approached the poll panel to seek its approval on placing before the Union Cabinet the Development of Water Resources Information System (DWRIS) proposal as there was a view that since the model code of conduct has come into force, it would be appropriate to get the nod of the EC.
The proposal could come up before the consideration of the Union Cabinet next week, sources said.
DWRIS would help in better prediction of floods, which could be considered by some as a populist measure ahead of the Assembly elections, the sources said.
A part of the National Water Policy, the project aims to install 800 hydrological observation sites on existing reservoirs and minor and major river basins.
The sites would be eventually linked to a satellite to provide the Ministry with real-time information on water levels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack