EC asks Goa govt to suspend recruitment drive
Panaji: Election Commission (EC) has
asked the Goa Government to put on hold its recruitment drive
as the model code of conduct has come into effect.
Chief Electoral Officer S Kumarswamy told reporters
that the main Opposition BJP had complained about ongoing
recruitment drive in seven Government offices, including
mining and electricity.
"We immediately issued directions to the State
Government to stop the recruitment drive as it amounts to
violation of election code of conduct," he said.
"The Commission has told the Government that process
of appointment and promotions should be stopped immediately."
The Congress-led coalition Government had cleared
massive recruitments in various Government departments in run
up for the elections scheduled on March 3.
The model code of conduct came into effect on December
24 when the poll date was announced. According to the
complaint, various departments were allegedly involved in
issuing back dated appointment letters.
The EC also asked the Government to withdraw all
advertisements propagating public schemes and having faces or
names of politicians in them.
Kumarswamy said directions have been issued to
withdraw advertisements like `Aaadhar Card`.
These advertisements, put up all across Goa and issued
by State Information and Broadcasting Ministry, had Chief
Minister Digambar Kamat`s photograph on them.
Kumarswamy said the officials have been given two days
to pull down these advertisements, which are flashed through
huge hoardings along the highways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM