Election authorities initiate probe into Pacheco`s citizenship
Panaji: The Electoral Office here has been
asked to probe the allegation of dual citizenship against
former Goa minister Fransisco Micky Pacheco, officials said
The Election Commission of India (ECI), had, last month
asked the Chief Electoral Officer of Goa to probe the
allegation against Pacheco, a former state tourism minister.
Pacheco, an NCP MLA who has been a minister thrice, has
been accused of holding citizenships of India and USA.
The Joint Chief Electoral Officer of Goa, Arvind Bugde,
wrote to the electoral registration officer in Benaulim,
asking to conduct inquiry into the issue on January 24. The
letter was received yesterday, they said.
Pacheco claimed that he had only Indian citizenship. "I
have been sworn thrice in the cabinet. If I had dual
citizenship, I would not have got the chance even to contest
the election," he said, reacting to the allegation.
The former minister had to resign after getting embroiled
in the controversy over the death of his lady friend, Nadia
"I am ready to face any inquiry. In the past too, I have
come out clean after being probed for false allegations," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes