Election authorities initiate probe into Pacheco`s citizenship
Panaji: The Electoral Office here has been
asked to probe the allegation of dual citizenship against
former Goa minister Fransisco Micky Pacheco, officials said
The Election Commission of India (ECI), had, last month
asked the Chief Electoral Officer of Goa to probe the
allegation against Pacheco, a former state tourism minister.
Pacheco, an NCP MLA who has been a minister thrice, has
been accused of holding citizenships of India and USA.
The Joint Chief Electoral Officer of Goa, Arvind Bugde,
wrote to the electoral registration officer in Benaulim,
asking to conduct inquiry into the issue on January 24. The
letter was received yesterday, they said.
Pacheco claimed that he had only Indian citizenship. "I
have been sworn thrice in the cabinet. If I had dual
citizenship, I would not have got the chance even to contest
the election," he said, reacting to the allegation.
The former minister had to resign after getting embroiled
in the controversy over the death of his lady friend, Nadia
"I am ready to face any inquiry. In the past too, I have
come out clean after being probed for false allegations," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets