Entry tax protest: Transporters cannot threaten govt, says CM
Panaji: With few hours left for the indefinite strike called by the transporters protesting the entry fee imposed by Goa government to begin, state Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Sunday said the government will not talk to the protesters if they continue to threaten the state.
"They cannot threaten the state government to withdraw the entry fee. Whatever demand they have, they should sit and talk with the government authorities," Parrikar told reporters here.
All India Motor Transport Congress (AIMTC) has threatened to boycott Goa operations from May 12 mid night, protesting the entry fee imposed by the state on vehicles entering the state.
The state government had initially named the fee as entry tax but subsequently notified it as `entry fee`.
The strike is joined by inter-state passenger and tourist buses, which will also stop operations from mid night today.
Parrikar said that if transporters have anything to discuss there is a proper procedure to do it. "Goa government will not change its decision to impose entry fee which is collected for using the infrastructure of the state," he said.
He stated that there is a provision in the fee that the vehicles regularly entering the state can be given concession.
The tourist buses joining the strike will not impact the tourism in the state as guests arrive here in their private cars, buses, by train or flights, he said.
Goa government has imposed an entry fee on the vehicles entering the state from April 15 onwards.
The vehicles from neighbouring Karwar, Belgaum, Sindhudurg and Kolhapur have been exempted from paying the tax, till the time concessional passes are worked for them.
The AIMTC strike is expected to affect the supplies of necessary commodities in the state as the transporters carrying milk, vegetables and other grocery items have decided to join the protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened