Ex-railway TC arrested for trying to derail train
Panaji: A former railway employee has been arrested for trying to derail a goods train near Margao of South Goa in a bid to avenge his suspension from services.
Fransisco Xavier Fernandes, a former ticket collector (TC) employed in Central Railway was arrested on Wednesday night by Konkan Railway Police, an arm of Goa Police, after he dumped a burning motorcycle on the tracks on April 28 night.
A senior police official said that Fernandes has confessed to the crime which he committed to take revenge for his suspension from Indian Railway few years back.
The accused stole a motorcycle parked on a dance floor of one Walter Lobo in Assolna village, around 10 km away from the spot of the crime, and rode it all along, before burning it and throwing it on the tracks, police said.
"The accused was sacked from Central Railway because of he was irregular on his duties," a police official said adding the accused had got the job after the death of his father, who was also an Indian Railway employee.
A major tragedy was averted when the driver of Ro-Ro (roll-on-roll-off) train of Konkan Railway corporation limited (KRCL) timely noticed the burning bike on the track little after chugging out of a tunnel at Sarzora village, few kilometers away from Margao junction.
The Ro-Ro train is a commercial goods carrier concept introduced by KRCL since 1999 which ferries loaded trucks between Kolad (Maharashtra) and Suratkal (Karnataka).
Netravati Express train had already crossed the spot while Kerala Sampark Kranti Express was scheduled to pass on it after Ro-Ro train.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre