Expert panel proposes cap on future mining activity
Panaji: A Goa government panel has recommended capping mining activity in the coastal state at 20 million metric tonne in the next four years in order to protect
fragile ecosystem and reduce the social stress.
Goa Golden Jubilee Development Council (GGJDC), headed by scientist Raghunath Mashelkar, has pointed out that unbridled mining activity has surpassed the social and environmental threshold in the region.
A document, tilted Vision 2035, prepared by the panel has proposed an upper limit at around 20 million metric ton on mining between 2010-15 to protect deteriorating ecosystem and social stress in the region.
The document was handed over to Chief Minister Digambar Kamat on the state Liberation Day on December 19.
Majority of the cumulative export of 54 million metric tonne from Goa is Iron Ore owing to a huge demand in steel industry from China.
The Mashelkar panel has also recommended a ban on mining activity in protected areas like wildlife sanctuaries, national parks and even in the high-sensitive regions of the state.
"Close all mines that have been extracting ore beyond limits allowed by environmental clearance given by Ministry of Environment and Forest (MoEF)," the document reads, adding "mining leases in wildlife sanctuaries should be permanently cancelled".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam