Expunge `Hindu nation` remark in Goa assembly: Congress
Panaji: The Congress in Goa Monday asked the assembly speaker to expunge a reference to India as a "Hindu nation" made by a minister last month during the monsoon session.
State Congress chief John Fernandes told reporters that he has instructed the legislature party to agitate, if necessary, to get the speaker to expunge the "anti-constitutional" comments.
"Executive committee of the Pradesh Congress Committee met and passed a resolution condemning the word `Hindu nation` being put on record of the assembly. We requested Congress MLAs and the legislature party to get the remark in the house expunged, even through agitation," he said.
Last month, Co-operatives Minister Deepak Dhavalikar told the assembly that India could well be on the way of becoming a "Hindu nation", with Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the helm.
The next day, the Opposition demanded an apology from the minister and staged a walkout, but did not insist on the remark being expunged from the assembly proceedings.
A day later, Deputy Chief Minister Francis D`Souza also courted controversy by saying that India was "already" a Hindu nation and he was a "Christian-Hindu".
"Referring to India as a Hindu nation is unconstitutional and such an unconstitutional reference should not be allowed to remain in the assembly`s records," Fernandes said.
Fernandes` comment came after Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh chief Mohan Bhagwat referred to all Indians as descendants of "Hindu culture".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder