`Fake ration cards being used for Aadhar cards in Goa`
Panaji: Bogus ration cards, a fact which has been acknowledged by Goa`s civil supplies ministry, are being used to acquire Aadhar cards in the state, a civil society group claimed on Thursday.
"Bogus ration cards are being used as identity proofs, especially in slum areas, to get Aadhar cards. This will reduce the social security number exercise to a farce," Yatish Naik, a spokesperson of the Pilerne Citizens Forum (PCF) told reporters here.
The PCF, which brought to light instances where ration cards had been forged by the hundreds a couple of years back, has filed a complaint with Nandan Nilekani, chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India -- in-charge of the central agency implementing the Aadhar card project.
"We have asked Nilekani to plug this loophole," Naik said.
The civil supplies ministry has already ordered a probe into the problem of fake ration cards after a ruling legislator told the Goa assembly recently that Nepali and Bangladeshi nationals had obtained ration cards by forging documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars