`Fake ration cards being used for Aadhar cards in Goa`
Panaji: Bogus ration cards, a fact which has been acknowledged by Goa`s civil supplies ministry, are being used to acquire Aadhar cards in the state, a civil society group claimed on Thursday.
"Bogus ration cards are being used as identity proofs, especially in slum areas, to get Aadhar cards. This will reduce the social security number exercise to a farce," Yatish Naik, a spokesperson of the Pilerne Citizens Forum (PCF) told reporters here.
The PCF, which brought to light instances where ration cards had been forged by the hundreds a couple of years back, has filed a complaint with Nandan Nilekani, chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India -- in-charge of the central agency implementing the Aadhar card project.
"We have asked Nilekani to plug this loophole," Naik said.
The civil supplies ministry has already ordered a probe into the problem of fake ration cards after a ruling legislator told the Goa assembly recently that Nepali and Bangladeshi nationals had obtained ration cards by forging documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family