Families of dead availing govt scheme will have to pay back
Panaji: The Goa government has decided to initiate recovery proceedings against families enjoying benefits under its social security scheme despite the beneficiaries being dead.
State Social Welfare Minister Mahadev Naik on Thursday told the Legislative Assembly that there are a few instances where families are enjoying the benefits of Dayanand Social Security Scheme, although the beneficiaries have passed away.
"We will initiate recovery proceedings in such cases," Naik told the House.
The state government provides Rs 2,000 per month to senior citizens, widows and those suffering from diseases like AIDS.
Total 1.16 lakh people are benefited under this scheme, the minister said.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, intervening in the discussion during the Question Hour, said a survey had been started to weed out rogue beneficiaries.
"The names of beneficiaries who are either dead or not found at their residences would be dropped," Parrikar said, adding that the survey in North Goa district has found "12,000 such ineligible people".
The government will now make it mandatory for all the beneficiaries to provide their Aadhar card and a Life Certificate (to certify that they are alive) to continue with the scheme benefits, he said.
Independent legislator Rohan Khaunte, participating in the discussion, pointed out that several people have been getting the benefits "discreetly”.
He claimed that the beneficiaries were given pension in August last year and it was discontinued abruptly, only to be restarted in February this year.
Parrikar said such cases might be due to mistakes on the part of the banks, where the money is deposited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video