Families of dead availing govt scheme will have to pay back
Panaji: The Goa government has decided to initiate recovery proceedings against families enjoying benefits under its social security scheme despite the beneficiaries being dead.
State Social Welfare Minister Mahadev Naik on Thursday told the Legislative Assembly that there are a few instances where families are enjoying the benefits of Dayanand Social Security Scheme, although the beneficiaries have passed away.
"We will initiate recovery proceedings in such cases," Naik told the House.
The state government provides Rs 2,000 per month to senior citizens, widows and those suffering from diseases like AIDS.
Total 1.16 lakh people are benefited under this scheme, the minister said.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, intervening in the discussion during the Question Hour, said a survey had been started to weed out rogue beneficiaries.
"The names of beneficiaries who are either dead or not found at their residences would be dropped," Parrikar said, adding that the survey in North Goa district has found "12,000 such ineligible people".
The government will now make it mandatory for all the beneficiaries to provide their Aadhar card and a Life Certificate (to certify that they are alive) to continue with the scheme benefits, he said.
Independent legislator Rohan Khaunte, participating in the discussion, pointed out that several people have been getting the benefits "discreetly”.
He claimed that the beneficiaries were given pension in August last year and it was discontinued abruptly, only to be restarted in February this year.
Parrikar said such cases might be due to mistakes on the part of the banks, where the money is deposited.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview