Filter rogue whistle-blowers, Parrikar asks media
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar Monday asked the media to filter out rogue whistle-blowers from stories, while warning of a probe and a legislation against activists and NGOs indulging in blackmail.
Parrikar was responding to a calling attention motion moved by his ruling BJP MLA Pramod Sawant.
Parrikar said the media should block the name of rogue activists like filters that block online porn from computer work stations.
"They should have similar programs in their computers to block the names. When their news gets published, they (whistle-blowers) get more weightage," he said.
Parrikar also promised action against Kashinath Shetye, a whistle-blowing electricity department employee and one of the most prolific whistle-blowing Right To Information (RTI) activists in the state, for indiscriminately filing criminal complaints.
"He has filed 24 cases in court, how does he work? Concerned AE (Assistant Engineer) who allows him compensatory holidays should be punished," Parrikar said, adding the government will bring out legislation to deter government servants from going to court.
The chief minister said while some NGOs were doing good work, there were some organisations and people engaged in blackmail.
"Some people have taken flats from builders by blackmailing them," Parrikar said, adding some activists had become "litigants by compulsion".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price