Fire in Vasco continues following leakage of naphtha
Panaji: Several state government agencies
were engaged in fire-dousing operation at Vasco town, as the
naphtha pipeline fire which broke out last evening continued
still not doused in one place.
Authorities said that naphtha leaking from the pipeline
came into contact with the overhead high-tension electricity
line, which triggered the fire.
By 2.00 am, the fire along the pipeline had been
doused, but later in the morning again fire started at a
nearby rivulet, where the leaked naphtha had run into the
Deputy Collector Levinson Martins said the original
leakage in the pipeline had been plugged temporarily, after
allowing leaked naphtha to burn off in a controlled manner.
"But the fire in the rivulet still continues, and will be
on till naphtha floating on the water gets exhausted," he
The pipeline carries naphtha to Zuari Industries, a
fertiliser manufacturing firm, on the outskirts of Vasco
city, 40 km south of Panaji.
Five people received burn injuries last night, and are
currently being treated at Goa Medical College and Hospital.
People from around 200 houses in the area were asked to
move out, by way of caution.
Government sources said this was the second instance of
the pipeline getting punctured during a road-repair in the
last four months.
Ashok Menon, Director of Fire and Emergency Services,
said the team of fire experts was camping at the site. "The
fire cannot be put out as it is emanating from naphtha. But we
can control it and we are doing that," Menon said.
Martins denied that the disaster management plan went
haywire during the fire.
A similar fire had occurred near Zuari Industries plant
four months ago, in which 39 vehicles were destroyed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report