Five Goan trawlers with 40 crew missing in Arabian sea
Panaji: Five fishing trawlers carrying about
40 crew members are missing in the cyclone ravaged Arabian Sea
and an intense search is on by the Coast Guard and Indian Navy
helicopters to trace them, officials stated.
The fishing community has claimed the capsize of two
trawlers in mid-sea but there is no news about the crew on
board them even as the forces launched aerial surveillance and
seaward search for the stranded trawlers.
ICG spokesman said that three Coast Guard ships, a Coast
Guard fixed wing aircraft and a helicopter have continued with
their search off-shore as well as on-shore.
"The search will continue till tomorrow," ICG said.
This morning at 0530 hrs, Coast Guard Ship Sangram
rescued six crew belonging to Goan Fishing Vessel Jeevan-1,
which sank off Ratnagiri.
"Total 29 crew were reported on this vessel and remaining
23 are likely to be either missing or might have been rescued
by some other fishing vessel. Details are awaited," the
"Another fishing vessel Saude De Marai from Goa was
abandoned by its crew at anchorage off Jaigad and all six crew
were rescued by another fishing vessel and brought to Goa," he
The Coast Guard stated that they began an aerial search
today from 06.30 hrs onwards but could not sight any survivor
or vessel in distress in the ocean.
"About three hours aerial search by Coast Guard fixed
wing aircraft was also carried out in the south Maharashtra
and north Goa," the spokesman said.
Goa which has around 1,200 fishing trawlers woke up to
the shock on Wednesday when 35 of its trawlers carrying more
than 200 people on board went missing.
State fisheries department confirmed that by Wednesday
evening, 24 trawlers had reported about their safety back home
while eleven were still stranded mid-sea.
Later in the night, more trawlers reported to various
shores. Most of them drifted to Ratnagiri, Vengurla and
Jaigad in Konkan belt of Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday