Five held for murder of elder woman in Goa
Panaji: Five persons including two minor grandsons have been arrested for killing a 65-year-old woman to rob her of ornaments and cash to place bets on IPL and Euro Cup matches, police said on Thursday.
The breakthrough came on Wednesday in the unsolved mystery death of Linda Cajetan Andrade, who was found murdered in her residence at Velim village, 50 kms away from here.
Five people including two minor grandsons of the deceased and another minor boy were picked up from different locations in South Goa, after one of the accused confessed to the heinous crime.
Superintendent of Police (South) Arvind Gawas confirming the arrests said the gang was in need of the money to bet on IPL matches that were then underway and for ongoing Euro Cup.
The body was found 40 days back in a naked condition inside the house had left police clueless.
Gawas said the only clue with the police was statement by a minor child from neighbourhood who had seen a boy wearing Carnival mask walking out of deceased`s house on the fateful day.
Police zeroed in on the suspects after they were found floundering the money, which they got by selling ornaments stolen from the deceased`s house. About Rs 4 lakh cash was also stolen after the murder.
Along with the three minor boys, including two grandsons, police have also arrested Dattaraj Satoskar (21) and Alcin Mascarenhas (19) for masterminding the murder.
Gawas said the murder was pre-planned as one of the grandsons invited his grandfather to his house in Navelim village to have a look at the `love birds` (pet birds) which he had purchased from the market.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter