Four `VIPs` held in Goa for using red beacons on cars
Panaji: Four people impersonating as VIPs were arrested Monday for flaunting red beacons on their vehicles in Goa, flouting a Supreme Court ruling on use of red beacons, flashers, sirens and blue beacons on vehicles.
The Supreme Court in a ruling Dec 10 barred use of red beacons on vehicles of all except those holding high constitutional posts or offices.
The four people arrested in Goa Monday were using red beacons on their vehicles, police said.
The beacons were installed atop two high-end cars, as the "VIPs" hit the state`s party circuit during peak tourist season.
Police said the four arrested men, when questioned, said they were VIPs from Haryana and Delhi. They were riding a Tata Safari and a Toyota Fortuner.
"Since they were impersonating as VIPs, we have booked them for cheating," a police spokesperson said.
The names of those arrested are: Yatindra Rao, Satyendra Yadav and Bhavesh Yadav, all from Delhi, and Gautam Rathod from Haryana. All of them are in the 25-27 years age range. They were arrested from within the jurisdictional area of Anjuna police station, an area that hosted a mega music party over the weekend.
In an order Dec 10 on a public interest litigation, the apex court said only those holding constitutional posts "are entitled to the privilege" of using red beacons.
It earlier termed the indiscriminate use of red beacons with flashers on vehicles by politicians and bureaucrats as a "menace" on roads,
Delhi`s newly sworn-in Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal was one of the first to remove the beacons cfrom most official vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP