Four years after Goa death, Scarlett laid to rest

Last Updated: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 23:02

London: More than four years after British teenager Scarlett Keeling was found dead on the Ajuna beach in Goa, she was finally laid to rest in a funeral held in south-west England.

The widely covered case had raised doubts about the safety of British tourists in Goa.

Keeling, 15, who hailed from Bideford, Devon, was found dead in February 2008.

Her body had been held in Exeter by the Greater Devon coroner because of the ongoing trial of two men charged over her death. The body was released to her family in April.

The funeral was held yesterday on land belonging to her family near Bradworthy.

Keeling`s mother, Fiona MacKeown, said after the funeral that it was "lovely to have her here".

She told BBC: "We`ve waited to all this time to get her back. Everybody`s been working like ants on her garden, getting it ready for her to come home".

Two inquests were held in India into Keeling`s death.

The first one said she had drowned after taking drugs. But the second inquest, demanded by Fiona MacKoewn, showed 15 separate injuries, which indicated that she was murdered.

Samson D`Souza, 31, and Placido Carvalho, 43, were charged with sexual assault, outraging modesty and destroying evidence. Both have denied the charges.

PTI



First Published: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 23:02

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus