Four years after Goa death, Scarlett laid to rest
London: More than four years after British teenager Scarlett Keeling was found dead on the Ajuna beach in Goa, she was finally laid to rest in a funeral held in south-west England.
The widely covered case had raised doubts about the safety of British tourists in Goa.
Keeling, 15, who hailed from Bideford, Devon, was found dead in February 2008.
Her body had been held in Exeter by the Greater Devon coroner because of the ongoing trial of two men charged over her death. The body was released to her family in April.
The funeral was held yesterday on land belonging to her family near Bradworthy.
Keeling`s mother, Fiona MacKeown, said after the funeral that it was "lovely to have her here".
She told BBC: "We`ve waited to all this time to get her back. Everybody`s been working like ants on her garden, getting it ready for her to come home".
Two inquests were held in India into Keeling`s death.
The first one said she had drowned after taking drugs. But the second inquest, demanded by Fiona MacKoewn, showed 15 separate injuries, which indicated that she was murdered.
Samson D`Souza, 31, and Placido Carvalho, 43, were charged with sexual assault, outraging modesty and destroying evidence. Both have denied the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day